Wednesday, April 8, 2015

Waunita June Riley July 3, 1921 - March 12, 2015

My grandmother passed away on March 12th. She always hated the winter, and complications from pneumonia finally took her home to heaven just in time for Spring Break of her 93rd year.

We traveled to Oklahoma for her funeral, which was beautiful and celebratory, and worthy of her. The music was thoughtfully chosen, and Pastor Brad preached the gospel but did not speak too long, which I'm sure Grandmother would have appreciated. She could never tolerate a long sermon. 

It was a sad time, but only for us. I just kept thinking about how happy I was for her. I could just picture her in heaven catching up with Francis, and all the other many friends that traveled there before her.

She is truly and amazing soul, and I'm so happy to have been a part of her life.

I wrote this tribute to her. It illustrates just a few of the many reasons I loved her: 

She was Oklahoma to the core, a real pioneer woman. She loved her family, which extends far beyond her blood relatives. She loved to watch birds and garden. She read the Bartlesville newspaper everyday from front to back. She loved the same man for more than 70 years. She experienced real hardship and tragedy, but still managed to bring joy to others. She loved a clean house, an organized kitchen, fancy dishes, and good food. She enjoyed the finer things of life like pizza with beer, Thunder basketball, Sperry Topsiders, and expensive sunglasses. She loved a good party, and was always the life of one. She followed all sports, and would watch any game she could find on TV. She knew what it was like to work hard and be poor. She was a fiercely competitive card player. She was bossy, and funny, and brutally honest. She was generous, and trusting, and expected the same from those around her. She loved springtime in the country. She hosted women’s bible study in her home until a week ago. She was a woman of character, and she was stunning at 93. I know I’m only one of so many people that will miss her terribly, but I’ve always been so proud to call her “Grandmother.”



1 comment:

Melissa Batusic said...

Aww, I love this, Ash. I know you miss her and I'm so sorry for your loss. I hope your family is doing ok.